Careers and Pathways
At Ringwood Secondary College we are committed to developing student career awareness. As a part of the Managed Individual Pathways program students are assisted with vocational guidance, support and career education.
A comprehensive Careers program is delivered to all students between Years 9 and 12, including careers counseling throughout the year. Various activities are scheduled to allow students to explore pathways and career options. This includes a Career Discovery Day, vocational testing, Tertiary Information Service excursion, Careers bulletins as well as guest speakers in the Year 12 Common period.
VETis (Vocational Education Training in Schools) courses are undertaken by a number of our VCE and Year 10 students allowing them to combine their traditional studies with a vocational study. The College offers a broad range of courses in conjunction with local TAFE Institutes and neighbouring secondary colleges. Some students also have the opportunity to participate in School Based Apprenticeship & Traineeships (SBAT), which means that students can begin their apprenticeship whilst completing their schooling.
Parents are invited to contact the Careers Practitioners to arrange an appointment to discuss subject choices and course options.
The Careers room is a well-resourced facility open to all students. A wide range of resources include University and TAFE booklets, brochures, pamphlets, DVDs, the Job Guide and other books are available for student use. The College has a team of Career Practitioners who provide many services to students from Years 7-12.
Features of Career Services and Programs
- Career Action Plans are commenced in Year 7 and updated annually.
- Year 10 students have several career counseling sessions. Parents are encouraged to be involved and consultation can occur during and outside school hours.
- Work Experience and Structured Work Placement are organised when required for students in Years 10-12. In Year 10, all students participate in Work Experience for the last week of Term 2.
- A ‘VCE/VCAL’ evening for Year 10 parents and students explaining the educational options available to students.
- An intensive transition program is provided for students moving into VCE and VCAL focusing on subject selection, including tertiary prerequisites and career management planning.
- Year 12 students are individually counseled in post school options. This includes further education opportunities, employment options and students are provided with assistance and guided through the VTAC process.
- During the weekly Year 12 Common period, students are provided with a sequential program of careers information and regular bulletins outlining events, expos and other pathway opportunities.
- Ongoing assistance with individual pathway planning and subject choices
- Regular, updated Career news embedded in the College newsletter.
- Access to a wide range of Vocational Education Training in Schools (VETiS) programs in Years 10-12. Programs are available through Ringwood Secondary College, Ringwood Training (RT) and other associated providers.
- Extensive support for exiting and exited student
- Outstanding rates of tertiary placements